Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Birthday John Coltrane!




Today (September 22)[or yesterday depending on when this posts] would have been his 82nd birthday.
I love John Coltrane because he had amazing harmonic knowledge and instinct. WOW...this man had delivered harmony with such complexity and was definitely a "funky technician" with that saxophone.


One of my most favorite songs of John Coltrane is "Naima"....the song was named after his first wife. The chorus of this song is so beautiful. This entire song educes a whirl of emotions. THE GOOSEBUMP FACTOR




Not many hip hop artists have sampled John Coltrane. I think the Fu Schnickens did...i know the Pharcyde did, Aceyalone...but I'm not sure who else. EXCEPT, how could I forget KRS-ONE "Brown Skinned Woman"




that song sampled Coltrane's "The Late Late Blues"

The Late Late Blues - Milt Jackson & John Coltrane

1 comment:

Unknown said...

somebody sampled "my favorite things" I'm pretty sure its either NaS or Jay-Z. Do you know what song?